Frequently Asked Questions

Questions About Right to Work (VEVO)

As an employer what do I need to know about right to work (VEVO) checks?

Non-citizens who do not have a valid visa, or the necessary work conditions associated with their visa, are not permitted to work in Australia.

If you hire or refer for work non-citizens who don’t have the right to work, you face serious penalties including fines and/or imprisonment.

For more information about employing legal workers, go 


Always sight the passport or the identity document, such as ImmiCard, that was used by the visa holder for the VEVO Entitlement Check; to confirm their identity and ensure that it matches the details shown.

Want to know more about VEVO?

For more information about VEVO, go to:

Please note: visa holders are not required to have a visa label in their passport for travel to, or stay in, Australia.

What if the information on my VEVO is inaccurate

As a first process you will need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to check if your Visa information is up to date.

Then email [email protected] to investigate your VEVO check further.

What is a right to work check?

A right to work check is a check that validates the work rights of an individual to work in Australia.

This is done either:

  1. through the Department of Immigration’s database (VEVO); or
  2. Sighting specific valid ID to verify you have the right to work in Australia.

For VEVO right to work checks, the right to work check will only provide information if your details are available electronically in the Department of Immigration’s database (VEVO).

Some foreign nationals, such as those permanent residents that migrated to Australia before the early 1990s and have not travelled out of Australia since, might not have a searchable record.

New Zealanders are often granted a Special Category (subclass 444) visa to them when they arrive in Australia which automatically ends on their departure from Australia. If you were granted one of these visas and you are outside of Australia when a right to work check is run, you will be shown as not having a current visa as that visa will have ended when you left Australia.

What is involved when conducting a Right To Work in Australia Check

Before an employer offers employment to a worker, they are legally required to check if they have valid working rights in Australia.

Employers and recruitment firms on-hiring workers, are lawfully required to cite the workers evidence of their right to work in Australia. Through using, you can gain evidence of this for your own employment needs. 

NCC verifies Citizenship/Permanent Residency status by validating any of the following documents that have been approved by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) as evidence. 

DIAC’s guidelines state the following is proof of a person’s entitlement to work:

  • An Australian/New Zealand passport;
  • Australian/New Zealand “Citizenship Certificate” AND another form of photo identification such as a driver’s licence; or
  • “Certificate of Evidence of Citizenship” AND another form of photo identification such as a driver’s licence; or
  • Australian birth certificate showing that at least one parent was born in Australia AND another form of photo identification such as a driver’s licence
  • Australian birth certificate (issued before 20 August 1986) AND another form of photo identification such as a driver’s licence
  •  a driver’s licence
  •  a Medicare card
  •  Job Services Australia Job Seeker ID number

Australian Permanent Residents, NZ Permanent Residents & all international workers

Worker Checks will conduct a Work Rights check using DIAC’s Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system to verify your work rights.

What if I don’t have a commencement of ID or a primary ID?

Please contact our customer support team via email – [email protected]

They will provide you with further instructions.

Please include your ID reference number, first name and surname in the email.

Most emails are answered on the same (or next) business day.

What types of ID are required to complete my application?

To successfully complete your Proof of Identity you will need to provide a total of four (4) different forms of ID that includes:

  • One (1) Commencement of ID Document;
  • One (1) Primary Use in Community Document; and
  • Two (2) Secondary Use in Community Documents.

Please ensure that by providing the 4 types of ID we can verify:

  • Your full name;
  • Your Date of Birth; and
  • A photo that needs to be contained on at least one of the ID you have provided.

Proof Of Identity quick reference guide

How long do you keep police checks for?

All police history information is kept for 3 months as per our ACIC accreditation requirements. All police history information is destroyed after 3 months.

You are able to obtain a copy of your police check within 3 months. After this, a new police check application will be required.

Why can’t I just email you scanned copies of my ID?

We value your privacy and want to protect your identity at all times. Sending ID via email is not as secure as submitting the ID via our security encrypted website. All of your personal information is secure via the InstantID technology which is safer and more secure than scan to email.

Why do I have to provide a self photo holding my ID

For additional security we ask you to hold your ID as well so we can determine the authenticity of the photo and establish liveness detection.

This is how we gain assurance that you are the person who is the true owner of the ID.

Please ensure you follow the instructions carefully and submit a self photo holding your photo ID. An example is shown below.

We can monitor Working with Children Checks by screening weekly – free of charge

– If you wish to register as a worker who will be working with children, you will need a current Working with Children Check (WWCC).

For organisation’s who hold an account to screen workers – if the worker has a WWCC – we will screen weekly at no additional cost.  Results will be available in your business portal. If there is a check discrepancy – you will receive an alert.

WWCC  are only processed through the statutory organisations in each state –  the contact details and websites for more information on the application  process can be found below.

Once you have received your check – we welcome you to add it to your “check passport” and register it with